Monday, June 25, 2007

Top Movies of the 90's

I don't think it's enough to stop at 1989. I think it is time to unveil the top movies of the 90's.

This is an old list. My college roommate Steve and I compiled this list one day when we should have been doing something more productive...homework, studying, cleaning, making the world better for humanity, but no we decided it would be more fun to make a list of movies and then debate with each other for hours (or days) about it. I have not gone back to revise this list since then, but I may and you'll be the first to know when I have.

Again, I will only reveal the top 10. The other 15 I'll save for some other day. Without further ado, here they are:

1. The Shawshank Redemption - Stephen King...Morgan Freeman narrating...hope is a good thing...I hope the ocean is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I almost cry just thinking about it.

2. Schindler's List - I've only watched it once. Remember, this isn't a favorites list. This is about merit in filmmaking...merit, I say.

3. Leaving Las Vegas - You know what, I've only seen this one once also, but my was it good that one time.

4. Unforgiven - Morgan Freeman returns to the list again. Oh, and Clint Eastwood is there too, but really it is all about Morgan. (I have a cousin with the same name, you know, but the cousin is white and a girl...same name, though.)

5. Good Will Hunting - A math genius that gets the girl in the end...how could I not like this?

6. The American President - This list is also about favorites and I have most of this movie memorized so I guess that counts.

7. Philadelphia - Merit in film making, people...that's what this list is all about. Oscar nominees aplenty right here. (Or was this list about favorites...both...I don't know anymore.)

8. Braveheart - There was blood. There were epic battles. There was love. There were men in kilts mooning the Brits. And don't forget a man was disemboweled for his efforts...that's doesn't happen in every movie, only the very special ones.

9. Seven - I watched this in a frigid movie theater in Lincoln. When the sloth guy wakes up, everyone in the room left their seats briefly. After the giggling subsided, all that could be heard was the faint sound a water trickling to the front of the theater. (Okay, okay...I made that last bit up, but it could have been true.)

10. American Beauty - I watched this one in Salt Lake City. I may have been the only person leaving the theater that wasn't completely disgusted. That says something profound. When I realize what it is, I'll let you know.

Hmmm...the 90's must have been a less happy decade than the 80's. That or there is something to be said about the subtle difference between "top movie" and "favorite movie".

No comments: