Saturday, December 1, 2007

Rule Number Seven

Rule Number Seven, The Doesn’t Work Well Without Supervision Rule: Productivity is best achieved within a structured, orderly, controlled system that allows the freedom to manipulate experience within defined parameters.

Left to my own devices I won’t get much done. I’ll fritter away hours doing nothing much and find I’m okay with that. Even with a list of things to do if there isn’t a timeline attached I’ll do an amazing job misplacing the list. What's most odd about this rule is that I actually supervise people...lots of people. Of course, I still have a boss of my own and that helps.

The real heart of rule number seven is that I appreciate a good system. I like little benchmarks and deadlines. This is probably also the reason I think it's a shame that once you get into adulthood you stopped getting awards for your achievements. There aren't any of those little pins for getting an A in math class, no certificates for perfect attendance and certainly not a single trophy for successfully winning an appeal against the USDA. It's hard to judge whether your life is on track without someone tracking it for you, that's all I'm saying.

No comments: