Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A Moment of Being Old

In the mail today I received a letter. Normally, I get copious amounts of junk, newsletters, ads and bills and finding a letter was a pleasant surprise. To my continuing surprise the letter was from Palestine, Texas, home to some of my cousins including the daughter of a cousin and the sender of the letter.

My only memory of Brittany is when she was maybe less than a year old and I still lived in Texas. It turns out that her letter was actually a graduation announcement.

And so here I find myself...old! The children of my cousins are graduating from high school. I have turned into one of those people that says, "I remember you when you were just this tall." Soon I'll be sitting in a rocking chair on the porch cursing at the kids stepping on my lawn.

2 comments:

spinningmom said...

Welcome to my world, I remember a life before you were born, yet I feel inside the same as I did then. Strange. Old is in the mind, and if you keep your youth in it than you'll never be old.

Becky Rose said...

Ha! What youth? Brent was born an old man, his body is just catching up (I can say this because I'm the same way).