Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Library Thing

Some of you may have noticed that there's a new sidebar on the blog. It randomly selects books from my library and displays them for the world to see.

This all started innocently enough when Michelle added a book reviewing feature on Facebook. Being the sort of person that I am, I went about finding more information. Yes, yes, the nerd that I am has long sought a nice database program for organizing my books. It turns out that there is one. It's called Library Thing.

I can hear you asking, what makes this so much better than making a spreadsheet? Simple, all I have to enter, for most books, is the ISBN number and the rest of the information is populated. How fun is that? The perks keep rolling in. The system tells me how many books in a particular book series I have, it tells me how many other people own the same book and it tells me how many books I share not only with other users, but with historic figures (for instance, Ernest Hemingway and I share 33 books). I ask you again, how fun is that?

Anyway, here's my library as entered to date. I have a bookshelf and a half to go.

3 comments:

spinningmom said...

Wow I want you to organize my office and library.... when you come up to visit!

Becky Rose said...

Great, Mom, like that's a really big incentive for him to come visit! Sheesh...Brent, don't worry, I wont let her coerce you into organizing the office...

M Fonck said...

My goodness. A nerd perhaps but this thing totally rocks! If only I could get my work done and sit on the computer all day discovering such cool things!