Sunday, September 21, 2008

LA County Fair

Last weekend I ventured to the LA County Fair in Pomona.

This was my second "urban" fair and, well, it just isn't Iowa. In the place of endless barns of cattle, horses, sheep and other four-legged furry creatures, there are a couple displays of barnyard creatures. I'll admit there were quite a few chickens and pigs. I'll also admit there were two cattle breeds I hadn't seen at the fair.

There was the furry, short-legged Highlander.

And the Watusi with the monstrous horns. Poor guy can't even hold his head up the right direction.

I also attended my first horse race. Aside from the half an hour wait between 5 minute races, it's an alright way to rest your legs after walking through a hundred miles of carnival rides, food vendors and people peddling their wares.

Of course, it wouldn't be a fair without fair food. A deep fried Snickers, a plate of BBQ brisket, a root beer float and half a funnel cake and I was done. My greatest disappointment was the fruitless search for a deep fried dill pickle. Maybe next year.

2 comments:

spinningmom said...

I can take you for deep fried pickles at Johnny Ribs in Belflower...

Becky Rose said...

You mean Chicken Charlie's wasn't there this year??? Aw, man...