Saturday, March 21, 2009

New York and Back

First, there are some rules and I'll break it just once. The rule involves a ban on posting unapproved photographs. Basically, it's a classic Cold War standoff. Each of us possesses embarassing pictures of the other and so to perserve our friendships and our reputations we've vowed not to post pictures for general viewing unless granted prior approval. Thus, most of these pictures are of me (thank goodness I'm so handsome - ha!).

Second, the best pictures are undoubtedly on Jill and Steve's cameras. There was a great deal of posing and stagecraft which means they're probably too funny to post anyway.

Next, here's a few pictures.

Obviously, at the Statue of Liberty.


The Statue of Liberty (from the ferry)


In Front of the NYSE


Listening to the "white people"


Times Square (the less interesting side)


The picture that should be here - Steve and Jill on the subway.

Hopefully, they'll forgive me.

Over the years I have hesitated going to New York - too big, too crowded, too difficult to maneuver through. Generally intimidating. I'm happy I finally made it and happier still that the college roommates could reunite.

In truth, I would have been just as happy sitting in Steve's apartment hanging out with everyone and doing nothing much else because these are just fun people to spend time with, but it was fun getting out in the city too.

I went to three Broadway shows with only two thirds of one act of Exit the King being really awful (sorry Susan Sarandon and Geoffrey Rush, but you needed to exit the stage about 40 minutes before you did). Before you think I was miserable, I should give kudos to Geoffrey Rush. He was hilarious and without him I probably would have found something to help myself exit the theatre. And I got to see Susan Sarandon and Geoffrey Rush within spitting distance - literally.

Jill and I went to Alfred Hitchcock's 39 Steps. It spoofed or referenced much of Hitchcock's work all the time using just 4 cast members playing "150 parts". The physical comedy was amazing and from my front row perch I could see each of the times the cast started to crack itself up - for some reason they had a case of the giggles, but it made it that much more fun for us.


All of us went to August: Osage County, an award winning show deserving of them all. Steve billed it as his favorite play ever on Broadway so the hype was big. For the first fifteen minutes I wondered and then that guy died (Mr. Rush, pay attention).


Beyond the shows it was the usual touristy stuff. This involves walking...lots of walking...subways...more walking...brief respites of sitting on the subway...more walking. Jill and I were getting a little whiny about the walking part.

The last note I have is about food. I went for the food, the shows and the friends and none of them disappointed. From Karen and Steve's making breakfast to $28 drinks at Spice Market, we ate much and we ate well. There was Dallas BBQ in Times Sqaure, breakfast at 24 hour diners in Brooklyn, $12 a pound M&M's at the M&M store, a Magnolia Bakery cupcake (that wasn't all that) and a little Italian place called Aurora (possibly my favorite of the group).

Of course, there's more stories to tell and were more memories made than I can ever put down in words, but that's why we do these things.

Finally, a big thanks to Steve and Karen for taking care of us over the week.

No comments: