Saturday, April 11, 2009

Ah, California

I have lived in California for 3 and half years. In this time I've come to love it's weather and a few of its inhabitants. It's also entertaining. That's it though.

It took the state 2 years to realize that my auto insurance company was not transmitting my insurance information to the state. Once they realized it, they revoked my registration and charged me $14 to get everything fixed.

It took the state 1 year to realize that I hadn't registered a vehicle that I sold. They still aren't sure I sold it, but they've decided that because the new owner hasn't registered the vehicle either that I should pay some fines, maybe have my wages garnished and as the lettered hinted, do my 45 minutes in jail like Paris Hilton. I can't spend more than 45 minutes in jail because there isn't any room and there isn't any money for new jails, or new police or to keep the roads in good repair or apparently to run the DMV.

Everyone knows the horrors of the DMV. It takes forever, the people aren't usually that nice and the first time I went there I spent $4000 because I had the gall to bring a vehicle into the state that I'd owned for less than a year (I got to pay the difference in sales tax between Kansas and California).

Recently, as the state government spun closer to bankruptcy they raised the sales tax, levied some new fees on doing just about anything, started taxing your sandwich at Subway if you want it toasted (not toasted and there's no tax) and the budget still isn't safe because the California government likes to do everything by ballot measure so I can vote for myself whether I want more taxes.

I plan to vote no to everything and pray that my state goes bankrupt. I know how to ride a horse and I have a saddle, so I don't need a smooth road. If the DMV can't afford to pay it's staff they'll stop threatening me. I'll have to live without the CHP, but the trusty LAPD might still be on the streets. I have no children going to school.

If I'm lucky, Congress will decide to sell California to China to pay down the debt. At least then I can expect an occasional shakedown from the government and be content knowing there is nothing I can do about it.

1 comment:

ndhood said...

I have been listening to the news. Your not alone in your agony. It sounds like a lot of companies and people are moving to neighboring states and even Mexico because of problems with the local government. Good Luck