Monday, March 1, 2010

The Top 50 Movies of the Decade - The Awkward Teens

I once again I ask your indulgence and that you remember this is not an Oscar ballot. This is not about technical merit. It hardly has anything to do with any coherent rationale at all. It's just movies - movies I love to watch.

These are the movies ranked 11th to 20th on my decade's favorites list (starting with #20).

Brick - This movie made me question whether there was a lot more going on at high school than I realized and if so, how did I miss it?

The Illusionist - For most everyone else it was The Prestige, but I'm a sucker for a love story so I preferred this magician movie over the other.

Batman Begins - to get interesting again.

The Dark Knight - I was not in the "this is the greatest movie ever made" camp, but I still love to watch it.

V for Vendetta - It may have been the monologue that included every word beginning with V or it may have been the eerie sense that I could be looking at our own bleak future, but whatever it was it was good.

Dan in Real Life - Hit me right on the sappy, romantic comedy solar plexus. Not as good on second viewing, but I'll always remember the first time.

The Whole Nine Yards - Yes, I can see the eye rolling from here. My response: get off my back. I love it. I think it's funny. I laugh ever time and I feel good about it.

Star Trek - Whatever genius warped the space-time continuum, you are the man!

Definitely, Maybe - I told you Ryan Reynolds would be back and here we find him. A love mystery - priceless.

The Bourne Ultimatum - And the Bourne movies begin where they ended, but they'll be back soon enough.

No comments: